Friday, March 22, 2013

Experiment

Hey, Y'all! So I know it's been a week since I've last blogged so I want to catch you up on what I'm up to so far. If you've checked out my cooking channel recently, you might have noticed that I uploaded two videos documenting a particular event. Last week, one of our chickens passed away, so instead of burying it like normal people, my dad and I decided to do something we've never done before: we decided to make him into dinner. To be honest, the whole experience was a lot less jarring than I had expected it to be... but the gut removal process was really annoying! I think I spent the entire afternoon cleaning out the chicken (funny how a few hours can be condensed into only a couple of minutes). The end result wasn't what I had expected it to be either; instead of tender juicy roast chicken, we ended up with this stringy game-flavored meat--kind of chewy, kind of tough. Definitely not what I had in mind. The roasted vegetables steeped in juices were scrumptious though--I wish I had doubled the amount! Anyway the next day--I'm not really sure why, but I felt compelled to eat only raw fruits and vegetables. So I did.

I've been partaking in this ordeal for a week so far--only on-and-off, nothing serious, but I'm curious what would happen if I did this thing for like, 30 days or something. I've been vegetarian and vegan before, but I've never really seriously considered eating only uncooked food. To be honest, the videos of those raw foodists supporting their health claims leave me kind of skeptical, but there's something about their dispositions that are so mystifying. It's almost supernatural in some cases--all this abundance of energy; feeling great and amazing--who wouldn't want to feel like that?! I want to feel like that
I guess I'll update you more with all this raw food stuff soon. 

By the way, I am totally digging this kale salad. It is really delicious and hearty, and so incredibly simple--I'd use less onion (or use a red onion instead of yellow), and add in more lemon juice though. Let me know if you try it out!

Sincerely,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment