Friday, March 15, 2013

Recipe: Roasted Butternut Squash Crescents



Hey y'all, I decided share with you some photos from my butternut squash experiment last night. My dad wanted to use up this veggie so instead of throwing it into a stew like I always do, I decided to try something new.

 I started by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.  Being too lazy to peel the skin, I left it on after scrubbing the squash thoroughly. I sliced hacked the cumbersome vegetable with a meat cleaver into neat little rounds. Unable to squeeze everything onto the roasting tray, I then cut each circle in half so everything could neatly fit. Taking a bunch of spices from the cupboard, I used a combination of black pepper, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast. Since my dad avoids any sort of processed vegetable oil in his diet, I omitted the EVOO most people who toss in and decided to give this fat-free version a spin. The squash definitely had enough moisture alone because after 30 minutes, when I took out the sizzling tray to give everything a flip--nothing was burned--in fact, everything was mouthwateringly tender to the touch and delightfully steaming. If I sliced even the butternut squash even thinner or used a mandolin, these would have turned out to be scrumptious chips!

 If you're running short on time, 30 minutes is definitely enough to cook these babies through--you just won't get that nice caramelized layer--so I'd definitely recommend the full hour (30 minutes, flip, another 30 minutes) in the oven. Trust me, you won't regret it.

The peels were kind of a nuisance, so I think I would make the extra effort to peel the entire squash before I throw it into the oven next time. Nonetheless these spiced, fat-free butternut crescents (sounds fancy, doesn't it?) were a big hit with both my dad and I. Personally, I felt like the squash didn't need much seasoning at all because it was so good on its own, but I shall definitely be recreating this dish (with the new adjustments) again for you all. :)

Sincerely,
Jenny



No comments:

Post a Comment